James Allen’s Saturday School for the Performing Arts was started at James Allen’s Girls School (JAGS) in 1993. The idea was to create an opportunity for young people to experience and explore specialist performing arts tuition beyond the school curriculum giving them the chance to develop self-expression, confidence and skills in a non-competitive environment. In 2009 we launched South London Youth Orchestra – intensive orchestral experiences during the school holidays. Post Covid we re-modelled our school and now focus on specialist music tuition on Saturdays. As part of this restructure we launched a Community Choir for adults and teens and 'Play-in-a-Week' dance and drama holiday intensives.
At JASSPA, all disciplines are taught by experienced practitioners with a passion for teaching. The environment is both creative and supportive, and provides encouraging performance opportunities.
Music lessons take place on Saturdays from 8.30am – 4pm during term time. Our pupils come from across SE London and they choose their own personal combination of activities from a broad curriculum:
- Instrumental and Vocal Tuition – running throughout the day, one to one lessons for 6-18yrs
- Music Theory - Grade 1, 3 and 5 theory classes, for instrumentalists post Grade 2 practical level
- Composition – one to one lessons for pupils taking GCSE or A level music, or those really passionate about learning to structure composition/song writing – all styles covered including jazz and improvisation.
- Choirs – Choirs for all ages including a Community Choir for adults and older teens
- SLYO – South London Youth Orchestra holiday courses for instrumentalists from Grade 2 - diploma level
- Dance – 'Play in a Week' holiday intensives - next courses 22-26 August 2022
- Drama – 'Play in a Week' holiday intensives - next courses 22-26 August 2022