James Allen’s Saturday School for the Performing Arts was started at James Allen’s Girls School (JAGS) in 1993. The idea was to create an opportunity for young people to experience and explore specialist tuition beyond the school curriculum giving them the chance to develop self-expression, confidence and skills in a non-competitive environment. From the beginning, classes have led to fabulous concerts and performances enjoyed by friends and family. In 2009 we launched South London Youth Orchestra – intensive orchestral experiences during the school holidays and in 2021 we launched a Community Choir for adults and teens and 'Play-in-a-Week' dance and drama holiday intensives.
At JASSPA, all disciplines are taught by experienced practitioners with a passion for teaching. The environment is both creative and supportive, allowing all pupils to take their performing to the next level.
Music lessons take place on Saturdays from 8.30am – 4pm during term time. Our pupils come from across SE London and they choose their own personal combination of activities from a broad curriculum:
- Instrumental and Vocal Tuition – running throughout the day, one to one lessons for 6-18yrs
- Music Theory - 12-12.45pm, group classes for instrumentalists Grade 2+
- Composition – one to one lessons for pupils taking GCSE or A level music, or those really passionate about learning to structure composition – all styles covered including jazz and improvisation.
- Choirs – 10-11am, Choirs for all ages including our new Community Choir for adults and older teens
- Dance – 'Play in a Week' holiday intensives - next course 25-29 October 2021
- Drama – 'Play in a Week' holiday intensives - next course 25-29 October 2021
- SLYO – holiday courses - South London Youth Orchestra